Pamela Baca-Hanes | Skies over Big Lake in the White Mountains
Good news from our bosses at the Arizona Department of Transportation: Three state roads that pass through the White Mountains will reopen April 15 after being closed for the winter.
The roads that will reopen are:
- State Route 261 between Eagar and Big Lake
- State Route 273 between Sunrise Park Resort and Big Lake
- State Route 473 between State Route 260 and Hawley Lake
Unlike past winters, there wasn’t much snow accumulation on the roadways this season, but ADOT still needs to inspect the roads to clear any snowdrifts or downed trees, and to make any necessary repairs.
For the full ADOT release, including some tips for summer driving on these scenic and winding roads, click here. And if you’re looking for a spectacular White Mountains Scenic Drive, along with a portfolio featuring many shots of the area … well, just wait until you see our July issue.
From our colleagues at ADOT:
Drivers will not face any construction-related closures along Phoenix-area freeways over the Thanksgiving weekend, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. In fact, no state highway closures are scheduled between Wednesday afternoon and early Monday morning, Dec. 2.
ADOT will hold off on work requiring closures to ease travel and promote safety as the busy holiday travel season gets under way.
Drivers who have plans to travel over the weekend are encouraged to follow safe-driving tips, including:
- Get a good night’s rest before heading out on a trip
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, fluid levels and the condition of engine belts
- Buckle up and double-check child safety seats
- Obey speed limits, be patient and avoid distractions. Don’t text while driving
- Be prepared for unscheduled closures due to accidents. Have an emergency preparedness kit that includes extra clothes, blankets, flashlights, snack foods and drinking water.
For the latest highway conditions across Arizona, travelers can visit the ADOT’s Travel Information site at az511.gov or call 5-1-1 (outside Arizona call 1-888-411-ROAD). ADOT’s public information line for state highway conditions is 602-712-6513. You can also track closures and other highway conditions at twitter.com/ArizonaDOT.
Additional information about winter driving and items to include in an emergency preparedness kit can be found at http://www.azdot.gov/KnowSnow.