A big piece of Arizona Highways‘ early history is back on public display in downtown Phoenix.
An early Brandtjen & Kluge printing press, used to print the magazine from roughly the 1950s through the mid-1960s, is part of a printing-press display at Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
The press dates to 1948, when it was originally purchased by mining company Phelps Dodge. W.A. Krueger, then the Arizona Highways printing company, acquired it later, and photographer Ansel Adams, among other heavyweights, contributed to the magazine during the time period the press was in use.
Highways acquired the press in the 2000s and donated it to the Arizona History Museum. It was on display there until 2009, when the museum closed, and it was in storage until the ASU exhibit premiered in December.
The press, along with hundreds of other journalism artifacts, is on display at the journalism school’s museum. It’s located on the second floor of the Cronkite School, and it’s open to the public.