From our colleagues at ADOT:
Drivers will not face any construction-related closures along Phoenix-area freeways over the Thanksgiving weekend, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. In fact, no state highway closures are scheduled between Wednesday afternoon and early Monday morning, Dec. 2.
ADOT will hold off on work requiring closures to ease travel and promote safety as the busy holiday travel season gets under way.
Drivers who have plans to travel over the weekend are encouraged to follow safe-driving tips, including:
- Get a good night’s rest before heading out on a trip
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, fluid levels and the condition of engine belts
- Buckle up and double-check child safety seats
- Obey speed limits, be patient and avoid distractions. Don’t text while driving
- Be prepared for unscheduled closures due to accidents. Have an emergency preparedness kit that includes extra clothes, blankets, flashlights, snack foods and drinking water.
For the latest highway conditions across Arizona, travelers can visit the ADOT’s Travel Information site at az511.gov or call 5-1-1 (outside Arizona call 1-888-411-ROAD). ADOT’s public information line for state highway conditions is 602-712-6513. You can also track closures and other highway conditions at twitter.com/ArizonaDOT.
Additional information about winter driving and items to include in an emergency preparedness kit can be found at http://www.azdot.gov/KnowSnow.